Basic firmware information and questions

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth Basic firmware information and questions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Davide Mancini 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

socialmedia
    Participant

Hi,

I just bought an NS1 and I am really enjoying its flexibility and sound. I am going to post a few forum topics rather than a series of questions in one post so that answers can be more focused.

My first question is to get a bit of clarification, as neither the user’s manual nor website, provide the information that I am seeking and I could only find some indications through the forum. My question relates to firmware hacking which I would like to do, but not before I have a clear idea of what I am overwriting.

For other users benefit here is the github account: https://github.com/soundmachines I had to search for it on Google as it is not obviously linked to from the website (or I am not very observant!).

So my question. In the github, I see two Arduino sketches:

• NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT
    • NS1NANOSYNTH_CC_NO_MOZZI_01

Which is the firmware sketch that is loaded by default? I just want to make sure that I can always get back to the stock settings.

Also, while my understanding is that I should just treat the Arduino Leonardo like an ordinary Arduino, are there any pit-falls that I should be aware or? I do not have the schematic in front of me, but I was under the impression that the functions on the right-hand of the NS1 were controlled by the Aruino yet I do not see any code in the sketches that sets up, for example, the logic gates and clock divider.

If I load up either of these sketches, do I risk removing this behavior?

Thanks and keep making wonderful musical instruments.

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hello!
    thanks for stopping by! 🙂
    The factory firmware is the NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT. As the name states, the four digital potentiometers are not active because of an incompatiiblity between the MOZZI library (that is inserted just as an example, generating a saw wave related to the MIDI note on the M–> pin)and the i2c (wire.h) lib.
    To gain the midi control change to digital potentiomenter function we wrote the other firmware that gets rid of the MOZZI libraries and implement this very nice MIDI integration function..

Please take a look at the other threads in this forum as there are three or four notable alternative firmwares with source code and also instruction on how to load libraries etc….

Davide

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.