direct connection to midi-controller

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth direct connection to midi-controller

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Niklas 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dirk
    Participant

hello,

i’ve been trying to see, if i can directly connect my roland a-pro keyboard to the ns1. it’s been powered by an ac adaptor and i’m connecting it via usb(micro-b)->usb(standard a)->usb(standard b), despite a patch that i tested with other midi hosts (seq24 and virtual keyboard through jack under linux) it does not seem to react to the controller. how would i go about checking if the arduino is seeing the usb device and recognizing it as a midi device? is this functionality even implemented with the current firmware?

curious greetings;

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hi Dirk!
    NS1nanosynth, as many other sound generating equipment (as opposed to controllers), needs a USB host device to connect with.
    The most part of the MIDI keyboards are USB ‘device’ devices..
    There are two ways of connecting a keyboard directly:

1(normal)-buy a MIDI host to device (Kenton makes some)
    2(hacker/coder)-use the standard midi cable with an adapter AND a new firmware…

Regarding the second one, the NS1’s arduino have the RX and TX pins on the connector and you could hack a MIDI DIN connector and an optocoupler to the NS1 quite easily…
    Then, by mixing the code on the NS1 with the MIDI libraries for Arduino, you obtain the standard midi (DIN cable) connectivity!

dirk
    Participant

ok, thanks for your reply. i’m kind of new to this, but i think i should be able to do this. now to clarify, i would for example take a midi socket and solder them to the respective tx/rx connections on a micro-b plug? and this doesn’t work already from usb->usb, because most usb-powered midi keyboards dont directly transmit data, but are some kind of proprietary device that needs a driver to pass through the midi signal?

greetings;
    dirk

dirk
    Participant

sorry for double posting, i understand now why i’d need the optocoupler, but i’m confused on another part, why would i need to modify the code? does the direct way through the rx/tx work differently than with some form of usb host?

greetings;
    dirk

Niklas
    Participant

Old post to answer.

But I think one chould also in this situation thinking about getting a Raspberry Pi.

1) It is small size.
    2) It has 4 usb 2.0 connectors. That is allot of possibilities to connect other decices.
    3) If you install linux you can easily add JACK to bootloader with your own preferenses. No need for screen when everything is done.
    4) It is cheaper then kenton midihost.
    5) And this is the nice thing. It can be charged by a usb charger. Think about it, making a little “traveling package”.

I am buying my raspberry pi today. Thinking of charreing some sd card image here later on if the project is a success. 🙂

Niklas
    Participant

… One downside is that raspberry pi can have problem to power devices throught usb. But that can be solved by using usb hub and power it separately.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.