Driver error / Compilation errors

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth Driver error / Compilation errors

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mariusblomstervik 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jaregger
    Participant

Hi – First, I should say that I’m happy with driver installation and troubleshooting don’t know anything at all Arduinos or how they work! so bear with me… I’m having several issues with Arduino drivers not installing correctly. Tried with 3 different laptops (two XP, one Windows 7 ) Driver installation recognises multimple Arduino devices when I plug in the Nanosynth. So after driver installation (I directed it to the Arduino drivers folder) I finally get one “Arduino Leonardo” under COM Ports and TWO “USB audio device” under Sound and Game controllers- The COM port “Arduino Leonardo” and the first “USB audio device” appear as working correctly. However, the second one “USB audio device” appears with an exclamation mark and as Cannot start Error 10. Now, I’ve no idea why this is and whether the Nanosynth is supposed to appear on Windows devices like that. I’ve tried on 3 computers and get similar errors: Onw “Arduino Leonardo” under COM Ports and two Arduino “USB devices” with the second “USB devices” malfunctioning. I went ahead and try to use it anyway. Cubase sees one of these “USB audio devices’ and transmit MIDI fine, for about 30 seconds or so and then it stops. Only restarting the computer solves the problem. Amongst other things I thought I would make sure the original firmware was installed (my nanosynth is second hand). However if I try to upload the NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT I get the message below. After having spent several days, I’m about to give up, as I don’t understand if its a hardware or simply software issue…

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows XP), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

C:\Program Files\Arduino\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino:17:25: fatal error: DAC_MCP49xx.h: No such file or directory

#include <DAC_MCP49xx.h>
    ^

compilation terminated.

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

werle.kyle
    Participant

I couldn’t tell you what’s going on with the MIDI portion of the problem. The USB audio devices are those I guess? The error you are getting uploading to the Arduino is just because you haven’t installed the MCP49xx DAC library yet!

Here is a link to the library DAC library

And then just look up a tutorial for installing libraries into the Arduino IDE, then you should be able to upload to the board no problem. Good luck!

jaregger
    Participant

Many thanks for that. I installed both the Mozzi library and this DAC one. Sadly I get loads of errors. What libraries are you supposed to install to upload the basic firmware to the nanosynth? cheers!

Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows XP), Board: “Arduino Leonardo”

In file included from C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino_\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino:6:0:

C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Mozzi-1.0.0/MozziGuts.h:151:2: warning: #warning “AUDIO_MODE is set to STANDARD_PLUS in mozzi_config.h. If things sound wrong, check if STANDARD_PLUS is the correct AUDIO_MODE for your sketch.” [-Wcpp]

#warning “AUDIO_MODE is set to STANDARD_PLUS in mozzi_config.h. If things sound wrong, check if STANDARD_PLUS is the correct AUDIO_MODE for your sketch.”

^

C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino_\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino:13:0: warning: “CONTROL_RATE” redefined [enabled by default]

#define CONTROL_RATE 128

^

In file included from C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino_\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino:6:0:

C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino\libraries\Mozzi-1.0.0/MozziGuts.h:36:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition

#define CONTROL_RATE 64

^

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:19: error: ‘MCP4922’ is not a member of ‘DAC_MCP49x1’

DAC_MCP49x1 dac(DAC_MCP49x1::MCP4922, 4, -1); //NS1nanosynth has DAC SS on pin D4

^

C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino_\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino: In function ‘void updateControl()’:

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:71: error: ‘MIDIUSB’ was not declared in this scope

while(MIDIUSB.available() > 0) {

^

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:73: error: ‘MIDIEvent’ was not declared in this scope

MIDIEvent e;

^

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:73: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘e’

MIDIEvent e;

^

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:74: error: ‘e’ was not declared in this scope

e = MIDIUSB.read();

^

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:135: error: ‘class DAC_MCP49x1’ has no member named ‘outputB’

dac.outputB(DacOutB);

^

C:\Documents and Settings\javs\My Documents\Arduino_\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT\NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino: In function ‘void playNote(byte, float)’:

NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:256: error: ‘class DAC_MCP49x1’ has no member named ‘outputA’

dac.outputA(DacOutA);

^

exit status 1
    ‘MCP4922’ is not a member of ‘DAC_MCP49x1’

This report would have more information with
    “Show verbose output during compilation”
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

werle.kyle
    Participant

Ahhh. I think this is an issue with Mozzi. I don’t think Mozzi works with the last few versions of the Arduino IDE. You have to use Arduino 1.0.5.

Arduino 1.0.5

Hopefully that works!

jaregger
    Participant

Hi – That’s great, thanks. Still no luck. Installed Arduino 1.0.5, added DAC_MCP49x1 and Mozzi 1.0.0 (also tried Mozzi 1.0.2) (Libraries appear under the library menu so are installed correctly). Similar error messages when compiling. Then I tried Arduino 1.0.6, but still nothing. I get the error message below. It would have been immensely helpful if the makers had documented the original firmware restoration properly… Do you have any ideas? Thanks!

This report would have more information with
    “Show verbose output during compilation”
    enabled in File > Preferences.
    Arduino: 1.0.6 (Windows XP), Board: “Arduino Uno”
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:19: error: ‘MCP4922’ is not a member of ‘DAC_MCP49x1’
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino: In function ‘void updateControl()’:
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:71: error: ‘MIDIUSB’ was not declared in this scope
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:73: error: ‘MIDIEvent’ was not declared in this scope
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:73: error: expected `;’ before ‘e’
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:135: error: ‘class DAC_MCP49x1’ has no member named ‘outputB’
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino: In function ‘void playNote(byte, float)’:
    NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT:256: error: ‘class DAC_MCP49x1’ has no member named ‘outputA’

werle.kyle
    Participant

So Mozzi will only compile on 1.0.5. So if you are still going for the Mozzi version, you are going to have to stay on that. reference. Just the first error is odd, because the library is DAC_MCP49xx, not DAC_MCP49x1. Perhaps try downloading it again? The download is weird, because the .ino file you get is actually a .html file you have to open to view the real .ino file (rename the original .ino to .html) on the github last I checked.

I find working with the digipots way easier than ever trying to get Mozzi to work properly. If you are dead set on it, that is ok, there are many things released that use Mozzi.

If you still have no luck, try the digipot version, and if that still doesn’t work try either mine or someone else’s firmware. Mine will compile with no extra downloaded libraries on the newest version of Arduino, and is also completely standalone once installed.

mariusblomstervik
    Participant

Im also having trouble getting past the “MIDIUSB was not declared in this scope”-error. The other sketches works fine, but I would like to get back the ability to play with midi, and reinstall the original firmware.

I have tried both old and new versions of arduino but get the same error always. I have downloaded and installed libraries like dac_mcp49xx(https://github.com/exscape/electronics), mozzi(https://github.com/sensorium/Mozzi), ardcore(https://github.com/rkistner/arcore) on my way to resolve error after error. But now Im stuck on the MIDIUSB-error.

Anyone have any ideas on how to move past this error?

Here is the exact error message:
    “Arduino:1.6.11 (Mac OS X), Kort”Arduino Leonardo”

/Users/mariusblomstervik/Documents/NS1nanosynth_sketches-master/NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT/NS1NANOSYNTH_BASE_NO_DIGIPOT.ino: In function ‘void updateControl()’:
    while(MIDIUSB.available() > 0) {
    ^
    MIDIEvent e;
    ^
    e = MIDIUSB.read();
    ^
    exit status 1
    ‘MIDIUSB’ was not declared in this scope”

mariusblomstervik
    Participant

I think I found the missing piece here: http://www.sound-machines.it/forums/topic/correct-setup-for-uploading-patches/
    This seems to be working. Will have to confirm tomorrow 🙂

mariusblomstervik
    Participant

That was it. Now it works and Im able to use the firmware midi again 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.