MODLFO firmware for NS1

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth MODLFO firmware for NS1

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  christian 3 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

matthewfriedrichs
    Participant

Please enjoy this early Christmas present that I have made for your NS1! ๐Ÿ™‚

Modulatable LFO for NS1

This firmware adds an LFO that allows you to modulate both the rate and waveshape. You only have to use the control pots already on the NS1. There are no extra circuits to build.

There are also a few extra features. The LFO can be retriggered and put into a one shot mode to act as an extra envelope. There is an extra MIDI oscillator on pin 9 that will will let you easily tune the analog oscillator by ear. I added a LOFI noise source to pins A0 and M<- to complement the existing white and pink noise sources. The final addition is an extra MIDI gate out on pin 6.

Check out this audio demo to hear some of the possibilities these extra features give you. ๐Ÿ™‚
    MODLFO Demo

Board Skate
    Participant

great, i will try it! seems very interesting

martin.krivanek
    Participant

Thanks a lot! I tried it yesterday and had fun with it!

christian
    Participant

Dear Matthew

Thanks SO MUCH for making this! Unfortunately I got an “error compiling” message in Arduino when trying to upload it to my Nano.

I did manage to install and use the Ixar’an sequencer. Both that and the MODLFO seem to rely on the Wire library, which I have included.

Please LMK if you have any tips. (I realize that understanding what might be wrong with someone else’s Arduino setup is almost impossible – but if there’s some procedure you have to follow before uploading MODLFO, or some library to include. please let me know.) Thank you!

Christian

christian
    Participant

PS I updated my Arduino IDE to 1.8.1, then noticed an error message saying that “timerone.h” was missing, so I found and downloaded and included the TimerOne library.

When I try to compile MODLFO I get this error message – please LMK if you have any thoughts about what I could try.

Arduino: 1.8.1 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

In file included from C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\MODLFO_FRIEDRICHS\MODLFO_FRIEDRICHS.ino:54:0:

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:8:19: warning: character constant too long for its type

<meta charset='utf-8'>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:26:5: error: stray '\302' in program

<title>electronics/DAC_MCP49xx.h at master ร‚ยท exscape/electronics ร‚ยท GitHub</title>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:26:5: error: stray '\267' in program

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:26:5: error: stray '\302' in program

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:26:5: error: stray '\267' in program

In file included from C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\MODLFO_FRIEDRICHS\MODLFO_FRIEDRICHS.ino:54:0:

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:139:28: warning: missing terminating ' character

<!-- </textarea> --><!-- '"

–><form accept-charset=”UTF-8″ action=”/exscape/electronics/search” class=”js-site-search-form” data-scoped-search-url=”/exscape/electronics/search” data-unscoped-search-url=”/search” method=”get”>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:139:3: error: missing terminating ‘ character

<!– </textarea> –><!– ‘”` –><form accept-charset=”UTF-8″ action=”/exscape/electronics/search” class=”js-site-search-form” data-scoped-search-url=”/exscape/electronics/search” data-unscoped-search-url=”/search” method=”get”>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:419:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC1″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>ifndef</span> _DAC_MCP49xx_H</td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:423:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC2″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>define</span> <span class=”pl-en”>_DAC_MCP49xx_H</span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:432:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC4″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>SPI.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:436:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC5″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>Arduino.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:440:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC6″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>inttypes.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:449:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC8″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>ifndef</span> _SPI_H_INCLUDED</td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:453:69: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC9″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>error</span> Please include SPI.h before DAC_MCP49xx.h!</td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:457:70: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC10″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>endif</span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:669:70: error: stray ‘#’ in program

<td id=”LC61″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>endif</span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:679:28: warning: missing terminating ‘ character

<!– </textarea> –><!– ‘”` –><form accept-charset=”UTF-8″ action=”” class=”js-jump-to-line-form” method=”get”>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:679:3: error: missing terminating ‘ character

<!– </textarea> –><!– ‘”` –><form accept-charset=”UTF-8″ action=”” class=”js-jump-to-line-form” method=”get”>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:729:14: warning: missing terminating ‘ character

You can’t perform that action at this time.

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:729:7: error: missing terminating ‘ character

You can’t perform that action at this time.

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:5:1: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

<!DOCTYPE html>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:372:3: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

</div>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:432:148: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

<td id=”LC4″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>SPI.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:432:185: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:436:148: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

<td id=”LC5″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>Arduino.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:436:189: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:440:148: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

<td id=”LC6″ class=”blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line”>#<span class=”pl-k”>include</span> <span class=”pl-s”><span class=”pl-pds”><</span>inttypes.h<span class=”pl-pds”>></span></span></td>

^

C:\Users\Christian\Documents\Arduino\libraries\DAC_MCP49xx/DAC_MCP49xx.h:440:190: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<‘ token

^

exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino Leonardo.

This report would have more information with
    “Show verbose output during compilation”
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.`

matthewfriedrichs
    Participant

@christian: It looks like your Nano does not have the MCP49xx DAC. That is used to get a really smooth LFO. Just use a filtered PWM pin to output the LFO. You will need to adjust the values of the PWM output. It will not be as clean as the DAC output, but it will work.

paul
    Participant

Hey guys really want to try this but I have zero knowledge of arduino. would someone please be able to do a “step by step” for me. I mean zero knowledge sorry guys. If I do manage to get this update on my ns1 am I right in saying I will no longer be able to use mod wheel with midi? Thank you in advanced. PS would be awesome if this LFO could also sync to midi clock rather than just LFO reset.

christian
    Participant

Many thanks @Matthew for your kind response. Take care.

Also may I echo @Paul, I have sometimes managed to upload firmware into the Nano and sometimes not. A step by step would be beautiful and much appreciated.

(Paul, for starters you have to download the free Arduino IDE (that is how you create and install new code into your Arduino) and then read some tutorials to get a sense of how compiling and loading works. Then sometimes you need to add libraries… and then my knowledge runs out and I am left deep in the woods. But anyway, if you take a wrong turn, you should be able to reinstall the original firmware, which is here https://github.com/SOUNDMACHINES/NS1nanosynth_sketches, and while you are there check out the patches directory, which will give you new ideas https://github.com/SOUNDMACHINES/NS1nanosynth_patches – if you want to make your own patch diagrams, download a free app called Fritzing.)

• This reply was modified 3 days, 23 hours ago by  christian.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.