Power and oscillator problem

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth Power and oscillator problem

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Davide Mancini 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Tim
    Participant

Hello, my NS1nanosytnh just arrived and afther playing some time with it, the frequency from the oscillator started to become unstable and then goes even down until it is like 1Hz, there is only clicking. This problem keeps reoccuring because after repowering it a lot of times or just leaving it rest a while it gets normal again for a few minutes. I thought the problem would come from an unstable powersource but I have tried powering it from usb from the laptop, from a power supply and by usb directly from the power outlet. Also when powered from a power supply, which is one of those adaptable powersupplies that can be put on 5V, there is a constant high peep. The white and pink noise and the two LFOs can still be used for an audible signal.

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hi Tim.
    that is not normal. Please send an email to the info@sound-machines.it with a description of the problem and where you got the NS1 from (Did you buy it from teh website or distributor?)
    Awaiting for your email, we will arrange a substitution.

Tim
    Participant

Hello,
    Thank you for the fast respons. Today I’ve had the NS1 plugged in and playing for 2 hours without stopping and the problem didn’t occur, so I will wait a little longer before I take any steps in sending it back. Currently I’m enjoying the synth, thank you

Tim
    Participant

Hi,

I have an update on the problem.
    When I first opened the case of the NS1, I noticed some brown grease on some of the soldering contacts so I cleaned this and afther this the problem got reduced a lot and like I said didn’t occur yesterday. Today it started again afther a long time so I took the bottom off again and by pressing the soldering where there is this greasy spot the oscillator became stable again. You can see the spot in the video below and the audio demonstrates what I ment with the oscillator being unstable until it recovered. Do you have any idea where this grease could come from? Oxidation?

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,
    do you have other updates on this issue?
    The brown material is coming form the soldering process and it’s the remnant of the fluxant (the stuff that keep the solder fluid).
    This material, in that particular position (the silver component is the integration capactior of the VCO) could lead to instability BUT your NS1 is exactly like the other hundreds out there so it’s possible that some kind of “oxidation” (or material change) is taking place in that particular spot.
    Let me know if the NS1 is doing good right now.
    Davide

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.