Firmware Releases

Home Forums Products (arches) Firmware Releases

This topic contains 52 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Davide Mancini 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)
  • Author

altmag
    Participant

Thanks for the new presets, Davide.

When I try to load them, I see:

_PAT00~1.ARC
    pat001.arc
    _PAT00~2.ARC
    pat002.arc
    _PAT00~3.ARC
    pat003.arc
    _PAT00~4.ARC
    pat004.arc

The pat00x.arc files load OK. The _PAT00~x.ARC files fail to load.

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hello,
    I think that the _PAT files are some kind of hidden files that have been created during the copy process.
    In the zip file (correct me if I’m wrong) there should be only 4 files…
    I’ll check myself to test a few systems for the copy, in the meantime just ignore the ‘strangely’ named files thank!
    D

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hi to Everyone!
    We are going to deliver the new firmware today in the late evening.
    I am updating the manual with the new function/improvements right now.

So, to sum up very quickly what we’ve worked on in the last weeks:

NEW FUNCTIONS:

-transpose function
    the Arpeggiators and the Stepsequencer have now a ‘transpose’ function activated by pushing the ‘trans’ button. As with the other button functions you press the button and ‘scroll’ the available destinations of the transpose. You can transpose +/- 12 semitones individually for each arp/seq. When the intended arp/seq is shown, just rotate the right encoder to select the chromatic value and then press the encoder to activate it.
    The ‘transpose’ works on the arpeggiators but not on the static values of the keyboards.The output works either on the CV system and on the MIDI.

-lightstrip record/loop
    The original LS1lightstrip most wanted functionality is here. Up to 20 seconds (instead of 8) of recording and looping capability.
    It functions just like the LS1lightstrip on the lightstrip banks selected as FREE. You have three modes:
    -standard: as the last firmware
    -HOLD: as the last firmware, press the top slider button and the CV value is retained
    -REC: with your finger ALREADY on the strip, press the top slider button and keep it pressed until either you want to finish rec and start the looping OR the memory fills up and starts looping automatically. While looping you can OVERRIDE the output by putting your finger again on the surface (under the hood the loop is continuing) or press the top slider button again and stop the loop (and erase the loop memory).

-lateral strips HOLD function:
    The four lateral half length strip now have their own HOLD buttons. They work in pairs, obviously, and those buttons are not showed anymore when selecting elements with the left encoder (that was confusing). Basically, led and hold function will toggle when pushing the inverted triangle buttons.

IMPROVEMENTS:

-Arpeggio HOLD now is much more easy to achieve and with consistent results
    -Optimized internal functions to speed things up. Now update rate for ALL the machine, including strips DAC update is 15ms at maximum. Stepping is now much reduced.
    Inserting a smoothing function is under review but, as of today, we DON’T know how this can be implemented to a good extent. This improvement was one of the most time-consuming things because of the implications with the i2c libraries of the microcontroller’s platform and tight scheduling for USB stuff.
    Now (arches) has the same speed/behaviour as our LS1lightstrip, one of the most diffused cv recorder on the market, and more than double the loop time.
    -Now Keyboards have FIXED outputs. In the first revision of firmware the keybs where associeted to a series of outputs by default BUT the user had the opportunity of changing this. This was confusing and, in the end, doesn’t give any plus.

FIXES:
    -Config mayhem. In some cases when going back and forth through presets OR changing config on the fly, in some ‘situations’ the (arches) looses (permanently or until the next user action) the configuration of some elements and/or the possibility to modify the parameters. This has been fixed in several places and tested. Obviously You will find a lot more ways of doing strange things with arches (…it’s his main raison d’etre, actually) and there culd be some little more ‘backdoors’ to be opened and fixed!
    -output drop: relative to the first point, we solved a bug where, returning from a preset load, several output changed their configuration or simply disappeared.
    -There was a BUG where, in some situations, the velocity of the arpeggiated notes (either associated to the ‘expression’ output or the MIDI velocity) was relative to the ‘last’ note. This have been solved.
    -CV drop: When changing context from keyboards to sequencers, the CV output (note or free) is retained and not set to ZERO.

NOTE:
    we worked hard to maintain the preset file structure.
    The next version could have the need to bring some mods to it….. We are open to disclose the format of the sd file and to work with someone to bring up a very simple (python?) script that will be able to transport potential old preset versions to the new one. OR, as some of you asked, realize a small graphic editor for presets. We have time to work on this so this can be a good moment to start sharing info with the one interested.

Davide

altmag
    Participant

Thanks Davide. This is very welcome news. Iā€™m away for a week but I look forward to working with these new functions when I return to my studio.

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

There we go.
    Firmware and updated manual are available on the (arches) page!!!!

Cheers!

voidshell
    Participant

I was able to update my Arches today and gave it a spin this evening. It is starting to feel more like an instrument and less dodgy. I had to read the instructions here in the forum though in regards to the Lightstrip recordings as the manual doesn’t seem to mention that an element has to be “Free” in order to record.

I’m still desperately needing these items to be addressed to really make it feel like a proper controller though. Davide, could you please comment on each of the following in regards to if each one is able to happen and what the likely hood / time frame looks like for implementation?

Mono, Legato, Last note, First note priority mode for Arp’s & Keyboards
    Tap Tempo via BPM button / Real time Tempo change via parameter knob
    Portamento on all keyboards & Step Seq
    Sequencer transpose Via other Keyboards
    Reset In
    Quantized Func in regards to FreeQ2, FreeQ3, FreeQ4
    Adjust Notes/gates/expression without having to press the respective button after toggling between each element.
    Play Button’s LED doesn’t turn on. Need that light on or flashing(preferably) to bpm when Play is Activated
    Clock Output Sub-divisions
    Expression Min/Max settings
    Instead of having (Arches) Home screen, Make home screen more preset/performance oriented.
    User Interface “Play” button should have have some form of OLED Update to show status
    User Interface “Tempo” button should also have some form of OLED Visual (blinking Pixels to visualize tempo)

Thank you for the update and I look forward to spending more time with Arches tomorrow (while also day dreaming about the above list)

scottposey2012
    Participant

I’m not sure the archsim.hex file is arriving intact, there are several trigger sequencer settings where the display is scrambled, blank, or otherwise outside the range of the parameter (e.g. sequence length 11).

Please kindly post the md5 or sha1 for archesim.hex, ideally also for the four preset files.

This is what I have:

MD5 (/…/archesim_01_00_05/archesim.hex) = 36c651cb838222e67b408bf2f5dcd534

porb
    Participant

nice! i’m going to attempt to install this firmware tonight… looking forward to giving it a try.
    thanks davide!

porb
    Participant

i’ve got it installed. i’m really enjoying the record function : )

voidshell
    Participant

This must be something Iā€™m doing wrong but the LED update lightshow happened every time I power on Arches now, any ideas?

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hello,
    we’ve been able to reproduce the slider malfunction in three different ‘strange’ configs and UI sequences and we are addressing this now. 99% the cause have been spotted so in the next few days this will be addressed! I’ve been able to reset without restarting by enabling and disabling the relevant KEYB in sequence.

To voidshell: please remove the autoprog.bcm file as it instructs the do the firmware upgrade without user intervention (i.e. pushing the two encoders!) and we use this in production for the first FW programming.
    I DEEPLY APOLOGIZE THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I SOULD HAVE WRITTEN ON THE MANUAL!!!
    Davide

Johan
    Participant

The new update sounds exciting! Will try it tonight šŸ™‚

Johan
    Participant

Tried updating now. Really like the lightstrip recording!
    Unfortunately I’m having some issues with the lightstrip furthest to the left. After I’ve done a recording the “top button” stops responding so I can’t clear/stop the recording. Only way to stop it seem to be to unplug the power.

By the way it took quiet a while for me to understood how to activate the lightstrip recording, I tried doing as in the post and as was written in the manual in the end I managed to figure it out.. would be good to update the manual and state that you need to change the function type to free. šŸ™‚

Maybe this is too tricky to do but would have been cool if it was possible to tempo sync the recording. So if I do a recording and decide to change tempo the recording would try and adjust to the new tempo. šŸ™‚

scottposey2012
    Participant

Brief review of latest firmware

Yay for lightstrip recording
    Yay for 5 independent crazy-powerful trigger sequencers
    Yay for step sequencer

Boo for broken external clocking*
    Boo for messed-up presets
    Boo for not being able to save/load presets

Please for linking a trigger track to sequencer, or maybe just an input jack to drive the seq

*the UI really melts down when clock source = external

Davide Mancini
    Keymaster

Hi there!
    MINOR release updated to the arches page.
    This fixes the external clock mayhem as signaled by Scott.
    Other fixes includes keyboard outputs management and context switching inaccuracies (including hold buttons ‘stuck’)
    I didn’t get the messed up preset.
    Maybe is due to using the old (pre 1.0.0 version) presets with the new firmware? As indicated we had to disrupt some structure to include new parameters.
    I will reply directly to trigger a notification.
    Davide

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.