Using digipots with line level signals

Home Forums Products NS1nanosynth Using digipots with line level signals

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Davide Mancini 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I read in the manuals that you should never feed the NS1 with signals other than in the range of 0-5 volts. But is it safe to use the digipots for line level audio signals, so you can use them as a sort of a VCA or automated volume control for other instruments?

The two ends of the digipots aren’t hardwired to grounds so it could work just like any potentiometer I think? Mixing before the amp on board might be weird, though. I don’t think the mix points would cut off the negative portion of the signal. I’m not sure about the circuit, but you could put a resistor before your signal mixes.

You could also put your signals at a middle voltage reference point with a breadboard, a quad op-amp and a few resistors. The amp removes the DC offset.

What is line level? +-1 or 2 volts?

Yes exactly, I thought that if they work as any potentiometer it should work. Actually I wasn’t thinking of mixing the signals back into the synth, but perhaps control on/off or volume of an external source with the ribbon or a button, through the Arduino. I’m not sure about the exact level.

If I mix it into the synth I guess I should shift the level as you say. How would you do it with an op-amp, is there an example somewhere?

I found this Arduino project that seems to do this wth just some resistors and some capacitors, but I haven’t tried it myself. But I guess it should be the same for the Nanosynth, perhaps?

Davide Mancini

Hi there!
    Digipots are, unfortunately, bound to the power supply of the IC, in this case 5V. You can, with a small polarizing network (a voltage divider) and a capacitor before it (coming from the signal) put the signal at half this voltage and then attenuate it…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.